I love booking Bed & Breakfasts accommodation for our guests. Often we talk about meeting “real” New Zealanders. You may well ask, “what is a real New Zealander”? They may not necessarily be born and bred New Zealanders – but they all have one thing in common – a love for NZ and those that come to visit and great hosting abilities.
One of our favourite Bed & Breakfast hosts is a Canadian who has been here for 20+ years and has been hosting for 18 of them. She loves people, travel and New Zealand!
Although I organise a wide range of different types of accommodation for our lovely guests, my favourite is definitely our Bed & Breakfasts. To help get you inspired, here are five reasons to stay in B&B’s on your bucket list trip to New Zealand!
Bed & Breakfast accommodation is usually offered at small, intimate properties; often offering one or more of the following:
- Central location (within easy walking distance of activities, restaurants, shops).
- Beautiful gardens to relax in often combined with stunning views.
- Distinctive architecture (some of our hosts live in historic homes).
- Unique properties and settings. No two properties are exactly the same, individual rooms are rarely identical and frequently have different décor. As a result they exude character and charm – and are lovely to come home to after a day of exploring!
- NZ Bed & Breakfast owners are welcoming, friendly, down-to-earth hosts (usually they own the property).
- They are always interested in meeting and interacting with their guests and have often traveled extensively themselves so understand their needs – and are great to chat with!
- They not only have extensive and up-to-date local knowledge, invariably they can provide you with information on great local places for photo opportunities, restaurants, hikes, where to buy the wine or ice cream along the way – everything you need to see en-route to your next destination.
- Don’t be shy – if you have a particular passion or specific interest you wish to enjoy while in NZ, ask your hosts. If they don’t know the answer they will know where to go to find out or where to direct you. Your host’s knowledge will enhance your overall NZ experience – it’s a fabulous way to ‘meet the locals’.
Interaction with your hosts and fellow travellers:
- Bed & Breakfast accommodation will often provide the opportunity to interact with fellow travellers from all over the world, as well as New Zealanders.
- A leisurely and relaxing breakfast with fellow travellers can offer another good source of up-to-date information and travel tips. It is also an opportunity to ask your hosts the questions you have about the NZ way of life, NZ culture and society which you may have been wondering about since arriving – for example “why are New Zealander’s so obsessed with Marmite on their toast”?
- Speaking of breakfast – your hosts will offer scrumptious breakfasts which can include homemade muesli, breads and jams, free-range eggs and often bacon from a local supplier.
Experiencing Real-life New Zealand:
- While your hosts offer accommodation, they of course have other jobs and hobbies; pets; family; all of the components that make up a life and will give you a snapshot of their lifestyle in NZ. You will get to see how they live; what they love; and the quality of life that many kiwis are lucky enough to enjoy.
- Often guests are included in the hosts’ experiences. For example, if you are a golfer, you may be invited to play at the local club. If your wish is to just relax and enjoy some peace and quiet, rest and relaxation, your hosts will ensure you have the space and privacy you require.
A home away from home:
- Staying in a New Zealand bed & breakfast is very much like being at home (but you don’t have to do the laundry or make your own breakfast!). All the home comforts are provided.
- You may wander into the garden (without having to pull the weeds) or just sit on the deck or veranda and enjoy the peace and quiet whilst reading a book.
New Zealander’s are known for their conviviality and generosity of spirit and there is no better place to access this than at one of our bed & breakfast accommodations.